Wednesday, May 4, 2011
In 6 months I've learned. . . .
. . . that the joyous time of birth can be a complete haze - you might not remember things & feel "out of it" for several weeks!
. . . that time alone just the 3 of you, figuring it all out & resting, is priceless.
. . . that having family nearby to just visit & stop by often would have been incredibly precious, but having some of them visit a few weeks later was lots of fun.
. . . that receiving meals after having a baby is a wonderful gift. Even Dad is getting used to everything & taking care of everyone, so he's tired too! Meals & snacks really help make the transition home easier for everyone & the time & effort to make it & bring it over are appreciated.
. . . that if by 2 weeks before your first baby you only received one 3pk of receiving blankets & one small pack of burp cloths.... go to the store now! because you will quickly learn post baby coming home that you really do use a lot of them both & will be obsessively washing them often. Don't be like me (thinking you can be a minimalist with baby stuff & what you got will do you fine) & a week after having a baby, barely able to walk (but wanting to be picky about what is chosen) hobble around Target & Babies R Us trying to buy more. It is not necessarily true that you will get so many blankets you don't know what to do with them all or lots of cute personalized burp cloths. I thought this was true but we received only two other blankets - one specially knitted by Grandma & another knited by a kind stranger.
. . . that if you can travel when they're less than 3 months old - do it!! This time is so much easier to travel with a sweet little one that will just fall asleep in your arms. Thinking of traveling with Olivia now seems crazy! She is so wiggly & curious & can throw an all out fit that surely an airplane ride would be nuts! When we traveled home at Christmas when she was about 7 weeks old, she was cuddly & cozy & even though she cried a tiny bit - nursing her would quiet her down & she slept the whole time. Now we look like we're in the circus when we eat. You also need a lot less 'stuff' at that small stage!
. . .that even when gas is close to $4/gallon you will leave your car & air conditioning running for 15 minutes to feed your sweet baby if they're hungry. (It's HOT in Texas - even in the winter)
. . . . and also that remote start would be nice so that when I'm in the back seat I could have it off in the beginning & start it only when it begins to get warm in the back.
. . . that despite any opinions prior to having children that I became *very* Pro-Nursing - no matter where you are or who you're with. I know it might make some people a little uncomfortable at first(admittedly, even as a woman it made me a bit uncomfortable prior to having kids) but my sweet small baby girl needs to be fed & I'm not going to hide in a closed room all day & night (especially when she eats every 2 hours) That being said, I also am not one to flaunt it everywhere I go. Yes, I realize that covers are 'obvious' & it's not about hiding it or being discreet as much as being modest.
. . . that being away from family just gets harder when your family grows.
. . . that even when you're at or under your PPW (pre pregnancy weight) & fit into your PPJ (favorite pair of jeans) your body is not like your PPB.
. . . that schedule's are ever changing.
. . . that having a baby sleep through the night from 6 weeks on is beyond a major blessing.
. . . that having a full night's rest does not mean you aren't still exhausted & tired.
. . . that there will be times and a week here & there of change & growth that baby will get you up in the middle of the night despite the above blessing.
. . . that there are so many little things I already regret doing & not doing, but they're all things that you just have to move on about. This is only the beginning of fears & regrets & worries!
. . .they really do grow up so fast
. . .that I am truly grateful to be a stay at home mom - even if some days are long, or frustrating, or boring.
. . .that baby giggles can melt your insides like butter & are little songs of love. If you could bottle them up & release at any time of sadness you could be a millionare.
. . .that baby kisses - sweet, big, open-mouthed, sloppy, wet ones are the best kisses I've ever had!
. . . that Grandma's & Grandpa's send things they think you need, even if you don't think you do. And usually they're right. (or even if it wasn't it a "need" it becomes a 'sure glad we have this!' item - big & small.
. . .that no matter how many books you have, you'll always want more so you're not bored with reading the same ones over & over again. (at least for now while I still choose!) :)
. . . that all the things you mean to do, you never get around to... like how I meant to do this monthly.
. . . .and many more!!!
4 comments:
To make a comment - Please Click on the blue "# Comments" & then in the comments drop down bar select NAME/url at the bottom. Type your name, (leave URL blank) submit, & you're done!
(Double check that it said that it left a comment - if it's a little red mark, click within your comment field & hit submit comment again - you might have to do this twice...) I don't know how to fix this. ack!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Mama P is bawling right now. That is soooo sweet. And she looks sooo adorable.
ReplyDeleteLara, you are not only a wonderful gift to our family, but a gifted writer! thank you for taking the time to share, Livi is SOOOOOO precious. I cant wait to see the tutu pictures:).....gotta go look for the kleenex...tears of happiness you know:P
ReplyDeleteHugs and kisses...mmmmmwwwwaaa
Gramma
Such a sweet post :) burp cloths and blankets were my fault, we got SO many (seriously we have 20 + burp cloths and that's after I got rid of some) and TONS of blankets. Maybe it's because there aren't as many cutesy things for boys?!? Traveling definitely harder as they get older. We have always just bought a seat for N, that way he could sit in his car seat and it wasn't such a struggle :) you make such a good mama. I'm so thankful to have you to share this crazy mommy hood stuff with :)
ReplyDeleteYou definitely brought tears to my eyes!
ReplyDelete